2 hrs 20 mins
- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Hickory Smoke Flavored, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 cup warm milk (110-115°F)
- 3-3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) instant dry yeast
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and warm milk until dissolved.
- In a large bowl, combine 2½ cups flour, the milk mixture and the yeast. Stir until a soft dough forms.
- Add the remaining flour as needed. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead a few times, forming a smooth ball.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl and cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size and bubbles appear on the surface (about 45-60 minutes).
- Meanwhile, while the dough is rising, chop the SPAM® Hickory Smoke Flavored and cook in a skillet until lightly browned; set aside and cool.
- In a bowl, combine the cooled SPAM® Hickory Smoke Flavored, cheese, green onions, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 4 equal parts.
- Lightly dust hands and rolling pin with flour. Roll one of the four sections into a 12×4-inch long rectangle.
- Press 1/4 of the SPAM® Hickory Smoke Flavored mixture along one side of the dough and roll as tightly as possible, starting with the side that has the filling.
- Cut into 6-8 (2-inch) pieces and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray).
- Repeat with remaining 3 portions of dough. Let rest, uncovered, at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F and bring about 6 cups of water to a boil. Add the baking soda and reduce heat to a gently simmer.
- Boil pretzels in batches, cooking about 20 seconds each, turning once. The pretzels should be slightly puffy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them back to the baking sheets. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- Brush warm pretzel bites with melted butter and sprinkle very lightly with salt. Serve warm. Makes 2-3 dozen.