1 hr 15 mins
- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon
- Barbeque rub (See recipe below)
- Crispy shallots (see recipe below)
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Barbeque sauce
- Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large or 2 small shallots
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable or coconut oil
- Cut the shallots into thin slices and place them in a ziplock bag.
- Into the bag with the shallots, add the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, seal the bag, and toss until they are coated.
- Heat a small saucepan to medium heat and add enough oil to fill the pan 1/4 inch deep.
- Test the heat of the oil by putting in one shallot piece; if it sizzles and turns golden, you know it’s hot enough!
- Place all the shallot pieces in the hot oil and let them fry until they are golden brown, only for a few minutes; then remove and place them on a paper towel to let cool.
- Make the barbeque rub by combining 2 teaspoons paprika, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl.
- Slice the SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and sprinkle them with the barbeque rub.
- Fry the SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon slices in a hot skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray until slightly crispy, for just a few minutes, then flip and repeat. A minute or so before removing from the heat, add a slice of provolone cheese to melt on top. Remove from heat.
- Slather the bottom of your bun with barbeque sauce, then add cheese-topped SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon, then add the crispy shallots on top of the cheese, and then top with the bun.