- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening or lard
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water, heated
- 12 slices Oaxaca cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic, sliced lengthwise into 6 slices, and slices cut in half to make 12 pieces
- 1/4 cup fig jam
- 1/4 cup HERDEZ® Chipotle Pepper Paste
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- In bowl of stand mixer beat together shortening, salt, baking powder and chili powder on medium-high speed 2 minutes or until smooth and light in texture. Reduce speed to low. Add masa harina. Mix to incorporate. Slowly add 1¼ cups of warm broth. Mix 2 minutes to combine. Test dough by placing ½ teaspoon dollop in cup of cold water. It should float. If not, add remaining ¼ cup broth and mix until combined, about 2 minutes more. This will ensure that the masa dough is light and fluffy.
- Divide dough into 24 portions. Flatten portions into dough rounds on parchment paper. Top 12 with 1 slice SPAM® Classic and 1 slice cheese. Cover with another flattened dough round, sealing edges to form a flat patty.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook pupusas 4 minutes, turning once, until browned.
- In small bowl, combine fig jam, pepper paste, lime zest and juice. Serve sauce with pupusas.