- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic, sliced into 9 slices
- ½ cup canned crushed pineapple with juice, divided
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 4 sheets nori
- 2 cups short grain sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ sheet nori
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cut SPAM® Classic slices in half to equal 18 SPAM® Classic squares.
- In large shallow dish combine 1/4 cup crushed pineapple with juice and soy sauce. Add SPAM® Classic pieces to dish. Let marinate 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut nori into strips to match width of SPAM® Classic pieces.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook SPAM® Classic pieces, adding marinade and turning frequently, 4 to 6 minutes or until SPAM® Classic pieces are browned and beginning to caramelize. Remove from heat.
- On work surface, lay 2 nori strips the width of musubi press. Place press over strips. Add 1/3 cup Musubi Rice to press. Press rice down. Top rice with small spoonful of pineapple soy cooking mixture. Top with 2 SPAM® Classic pieces, side by side. Use press to hold musubi down and pull mold upward to unmold the musubi. Wrap nori around musubi, using a small amount of water to seal ends. Cut through middle of rice to form 2 musubi pieces. Repeat with remaining ingredients to form 18 musubi pieces.
- Garnish each musubi piece with small amount of remaining crushed pineapple, drained.
- In fine mesh strainer, rinse rice until the water runs clear. Drain.
- Cook rice and nori according to package directions using a rice cooker, pressure cooker or on the stove. Place cooked rice in large bowl.
- In small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt until the sugar dissolves.
- Drizzle vinegar mixture over cooked rice. Gently fold rice to combine.
- Cover rice with damp paper towel and let cool to room temperature.