- 2 (12-ounce) cans SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon
- 8 ounces HORMEL® BLACK LABEL® Bacon
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 cups thinly sliced green and red cabbage
- 12 hamburger sized pretzel rolls
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup sweet spicy mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice the bacon into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook the bacon over low heat until crispy, then place on paper towels and set aside.
- In a different skillet, add 2-3 tablespoons of the bacon drippings and sauté the onion over medium low heat until softened, or about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the onion with 1 tablespoon of the flour. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Season as desired with salt and pepper.
- Add cabbage and stir until it slightly wilts, about 1 minute, then add the cooked bacon. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Cut the pretzel rolls in half and lightly brush them with a small amount of oil, then place face-side down on a baking sheet.
- Lightly toast the rolls in the oven for about 5-10 minutes, then set aside.
- Add the remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet (enough to cover the bottom of the pan), and heat over medium heat.
- Slice each can of SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon into 6 lengthwise slices (for a total of 12 slices).
- Place flour, eggs, and panko crumbs into three separate pans.
- Dip each slice of SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon into flour, following by egg and then into the panko crumbs.
- Sauté the SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon slices until golden brown on both sides.
- Place the SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon in warm oven and keep them there until all slices have been browned.
- To assemble, spread the bottom half of each toasted pretzel bun with mustard.
- Top with SPAM® with Real HORMEL® Bacon and the cabbage slaw, then the roll tops. Serve immediately. Makes 12 sandwiches.