1 hr 10 mins
FOR WILD RICE SALAD:
- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic or SPAM® Lite, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup carrots, match stick sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 6 cups Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (can substitute sunflower seeds or slivered almonds)
FOR VINAIGRETTE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, combine the chicken stock or broth and the wild rice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for about 45 minutes and until the grains are just opened and tender.
- Drain any excess liquid from the rice and toss with the lemon juice, then set aside the rice to cool.
- Sauté the SPAM® product in a large skillet until lightly browned, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette in small bowl, whisking together the cider vinegar, oil, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Use a large bowl and add the rice, SPAM® product, carrots, cranberries, and green onions.
- Add the vinaigrette to the rice mixture and toss together, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve the rice mixture over romaine lettuce and top with pumpkin seeds.