20 rice balls
1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1/2 can SPAM® Classic, diced
- 1/2 cup kimchi, chopped
- 1/4 cup Korean BBQ Gochujang Bulgogi sauce*
- 2 cups steamed white rice
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 sheet nori, shredded
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 20 (1/2 -inch) cubes mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Oil for deep frying
*Or try the Omsom Spicy Bulgogi starter
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook diced SPAM® Classic 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to large bowl.
- In same skillet add kimchi. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in Korean BBQ gochujang bulgogi sauce and rice. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add to bowl. Stir in shredded cheese, nori, scallions, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Set aside to cool.
- Roll 2 tablespoons rice mixture into balls, inserting 1 cheese cube in the center of each. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place breadcrumbs, flour and egg mixture in separate bowls. Roll rice ball in flour, shaking off excess. Dip rice ball in egg mixture and roll rice ball in breadcrumbs. Repeat with remaining rice balls.
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil to 375°F. Reduce heat to medium and gently place 4 rice balls into oil. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove rice balls with slotted spoon and place on wire rack. Repeat with remaining rice balls.