- 1 cup oil for frying
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into ½-inch slices
- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Maple Flavored, sliced lengthwise into 6 thick slices, slices cut in half to make 12 pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
Malt vinegar mousse
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar, preferably smoked
- Hot honey
- Chopped parsley, if desired
- In small saucepan, heat oil to 350°F. In shallow bowl, combine egg, milk and hot sauce. Place flour in separate shallow bowl. Toss capers in flour. Remove to egg mixture to coat. Return to flour to coat again. Fry capers 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to paper towel-lined plate. Reserve.
- Using a 1¾-inch biscuit cutter, cut sweet potato slices and SPAM® Maple Flavored pieces into matching shapes. In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Sear sweet potato rounds on each side. Reduce heat. Add sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Allow to cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender and glazed.
- In another skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining oil. Cook SPAM® Maple Flavored rounds 2 to 3 minutes, turning over, until browned.
- In bowl using electric mixer, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Stir in vinegar.
- Place sweet potatoes on serving dish, top each with 1 SPAM® Maple Flavored round, a dollop of malt vinegar mousse, and a few reserved fried capers. Drizzle with hot honey and sprinkle with parsley.