- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic, cut into 8 slices
- 2 cups Salsa Verde, divided
- 3 cups Sticky Spanish Rice
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 8 nori strips
Sticky Spanish Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and dried
- 1 serrano pepper (or 2 jalapeño peppers), stem removed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook SPAM® Classic 1 to 2 minutes or until beginning to brown. Add 1/2 cup Salsa Verde to pan; sauté SPAM® Classic slices in Salsa Verde 1 to 2 minutes or until well coated and browned. Remove from skillet.
- Place 1/3 cup Sticky Spanish Rice into musubi press or plastic lined SPAM® Classic can on top of nori strip and press down. Drizzle with Salsa Verde. Top with queso fresco and 1 slice salsa-fried SPAM® Classic. Remove press.
- Wrap nori around each. Moisten one end slightly to fasten together. Repeat to make 8. Serve with remaining Salsa Verde.
Sticky Spanish Rice
- In 3 quart saucepan over medium high heat, heat oil. Add onion, jalapeno and garlic. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Add rice and chicken stock, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and cover. Cook 15 to 17 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in salt, cumin, paprika, chili powder, diced tomatoes and cilantro.
- Heat oven to 425°F. On rimmed baking sheet place tomatillos and serrano pepper. Roast 14 to 16 minutes or until tomatillos start to brown on top and are cooked through.
- Transfer tomatillos and serrano pepper to food processor. Add garlic, cilantro, onion, lime juice, salt, and cumin. Pulse mixture to salsa consistency.