- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon mild yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts (plus more for garnish)
- 1 (12-ounce) can of any SPAM® flavor
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup soda water, ice cold
- A pinch of salt
- Canola oil, for frying
- To make the chutney, use a small sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add the pineapple, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar, curry powder, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cook while stirring until the pot begins to bubble a bit, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of warm water, stirring until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into the chutney, stirring to incorporate.
- Turn off the heat and allow the chutney to cool. Once cool, stir in the scallions (but remember to leave some for garnish).
- Prepare the spears by filling a large pot or deep fryer with canola oil, leaving a few inches at the top.
- Bring the temperature to 375°F.
- Cut the SPAM® product in half lengthwise, then cut each half into five long spears.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, coconut, cornstarch, and lemon zest.
- Add in the soda water and egg.
- Dip the spears into the tempura batter and slowly lower the battered SPAM® product into the fryer. Let fry for 5 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Remove to a sheet tray lined with a wire rack. Serve the SPAM® spears with a side of pineapple chutney.