- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic, diced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (1 slice)
- 1 pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 pound processed sharp American cheese, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole pan.
- Cook macaroni according to the package, then drain.
- In casserole, stir together SPAM® Classic and macaroni.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Blend in flour, salt, mustard, black pepper, and cayenne until smooth.
- Stir in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens and boils. Add the cheese and cook, stirring until it’s melted.
- Pour over SPAM® mixture and mix together well.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, then stir in breadcrumbs and paprika.
- Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.