- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic, diced small
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 6 cups chicken stock, warmed
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped herbs such as parsley, chives or thyme
- In large shallow saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add SPAM® Classic. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove SPAM® Classic from pan; reserve. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in chopped onion. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir rice into onion mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until rice toasts and begins to look slightly opaque around edges.
- Using a ladle, transfer two ladles full of warm chicken stock into the pan. With wooden spoon, begin to stir the rice and stock together. Cook, stirring constantly, until the rice begins to soak up the stock and starts to release its starch. Maintain an even heat that gives time for the rice to cook. Continue to add the stock one ladle at a time until rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, herbs and reserved SPAM® Classic.