20 minutes/10 minutes
25 minutes/100 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic, diced small
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken stock, warmed
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 cups canola oil
- Flaky sea salt and favorite dipping sauce, if desired
- In large, shallow saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add SPAM® Classic. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in diced onions. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir rice into onion and SPAM® Classic mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until rice toasts and begins to look slightly opaque around edges.
- Using a ladle, transfer two ladles full of warmed chicken stock into the pan. With wooden spoon, begin to stir the rice and stock together. Cook, stirring all the while, until the rice begins to soak up the stock and starts to release its starch. Maintain an even heat that gives time for the rice to cook. Continue to add in the stock one ladle at a time until rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Spread mixture onto shallow baking pan. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Roll rice mixture into balls of about ¼ cup. Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Roll rice ball in flour, shaking off excess. Dip rice ball in beaten eggs and let stand until the flour absorbs the egg and is completed coated. Finally, roll rice ball in breadcrumbs. Repeat with remaining rice balls.
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil to 350°F. Reduce heat to medium and gently place 4 rice balls into oil. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove rice balls with slotted spoon and place on wire rack. Repeat with remaining rice balls. Serve with flaky sea salt and dipping sauce, if desired.